Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Intro to my life and language...



     I love languages, I could talk for hours about them; the differences, the similarities, syntax, sounds, structure, diphthongs, morphemes, declension, elision, etc. When I was younger I wanted to learn a foreign language so I went to the library and checked out books on every language I could find: Spanish, German, Italian, Chinese, French, Russian... Well, Russian is the one I chose because I like the way it looked, sounded and the fact it can be used in 15 countries (Former Soviet Republics).

     Russian proved to be challenging as I had no one to speak to or practice with. But I bought books, tapes (yes, I had those when I was young) and computer software. I was determined to learn this language one way or another! I did manage to learn some words and then a few sentences but I never became anywhere near fluent due to the fact I still had no one to practice with.

     So one day I was surfing the ole' web and came across Esperanto, the most well-known ConLang (Constructed Language) out there. It was easy to learn and there were many people to speak/write to. The language is based on Latin and Greek words so words are familiar to English speakers as well as speakers of other Romance-based languages such as Spanish, French, Italian etc. The only problem I had was the troublesome "-n" ending on the Subject. It is there to clarify the subject but I always had problems knowing when to use it or not. But I was delighted to be able to speak with people in China, Iran, Spain, Germany, Estonia and many others in a common language.

     Well, I think this is a good introduction to my life and languages, don't worry, there is much more to be written and I will explain more about the languages I know, am studying and want to study in the future both Natural and Constructed.

   Until next time, до свидания, adiaŭ and totsiens...

No comments:

Post a Comment